Tags : :
The biggest concern I have is with the control. I've used two controllers so far, a USB->PS2 adapter, and a wireless Logitech controller w/ analog sticks. The Logitech controller responds MUCH better than the gimpy PS2 adapter, so that's mainly what I've been using. There are five things that come to mind:
1) Input becomes sketchy when framerate drops. For example, during stage 3 ( Lush Look Killer ) or 4 ( Porco in the Sky ), when there are a ton of enemies on the screen and framerate starts dropping, the control becomes erratic. It almost feels like an issue with how the game handles dropped frames... I don't know if it stacks input calls like crazy or starts dropping them or what. Bottom line is something doesn't feel right, and it wasn't an issue on the PS3. Hell, this might even be a USB issue... maybe Windows starts dropping USB gamepad inputs when CPU usage is extremely high.
2) Input 'sticks' randomly, and I've noticed it more when there are tons of enemies on the screen. For example, if you're holding the analog stick up, and quickly move it down to dodge something, you continue moving up. To fix your direction, you just have to try to move around until your direction becomes unstuck. Very frustrating.
3) No option to assign gamepad buttons for movement. If we use a gamepad, we're forced into analog controls. Also, as already mentioned, analog movement seems bound in 8 directions much like the shooting. This isn't a huge issue but is worth mentioning.
4) Gamepad buttons don't work on "press any key" screens after beating a level. You are forced to hit a button on the keyboard.
5) The "accept" and "cancel" menu actions don't seem to be saved for the gamepad. All my other buttons that I remap get saved correctly except these.
Hopefully we'll get a patch through Steam soon. I love this game to death but input issues can be pretty frustrating. If anyone else has other concerns please feel free to voice them here.
[i do not regret]